Watch this and comment.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Watch this and comment.

Post by DieOrFail on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:41 pm

Trigardon posted a video on Newerth.com which I'd like to share with you too, as a lot of you doesn't
browse Newerth.com very often. (Core1 = Trig)

Trigardon wrote:

I want your opinion on this, preferably non-trolling or flaming ones.

Now it's your turn. Watch and comment. Link to original topic on Newerth is here:
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,13460.0.html
DieOrFail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Watch this and comment.

Post by Morgoth of Udun on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:23 pm

The world has problems. True.
Capitalism is a pretty crappy system, as are most governmental institutions which exist now.
I wonder though, how many of the people shouting, throwing bombs, attacking agents, actually know what is going on? I think very few, if any one. And if they do know what is going on (partially), they rarely look further than direct consequences.
"We won't pay for their (Greece) crisis" (and most of these things) is just a really silly thing to say. I won't elaborate on that here, but anyone with brains will look further than instinct and immediate consequences.

So there are 3 problems I have with these youth-driven demonstrations:

- First, they tend to follow their instinct. Most people aren't very smart, most of them are actually quite stupid (no matter how harsh that sounds). They can't oversee the consequences of the things they randomly cry for.
- Second, they are mostly against a lot of things (think Zeitgeist). But there isn't a proper solution for the problems which they put forward. Related to point one.
- Third, they are inexperienced and lack leadership. So whenever they would throw over the existing system (think Egypt), we'll have to see how it all works out. Related to point one and two.

Even though the problems talked about in this video are real and have been real for decades (Marx already warned us...). Violently shouting unconsidered thoughts without having a proper alternative to the current practice, is obviously not the way to go by if we would like to solve these problems.
Morgoth of Udun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:43 am

Violence or violent protest has flaws, but educating and raising attention to critical problems we face in today's world is important.

I've been aware of these issues for awhile, and we've got the same problems here in Canada around how banks, or small groups of rich people, are controlling many aspects of society, and in turn, a huge chunk of the world. Someone in my life once made this statement though;

"...What the multinational banks/corporations are doing right now are causing, if not helping, mass starvation, poverty, and millions of deaths each year. Is that not violence and mass murder to the extreme itself?"

I don't have the research, statistics, or sources to support such a statement. However, if you've watched the video Trigardon posted, you might get an idea of what banks ARE doing that would make the above statement true.

I'm far from being fully educated about the many issues we've got in the world right now, but I've been exposed to lots of alternative news, media, books, sources, and people whom constantly are advocating and raising awareness about critical things you just don't hear on the everyday mainstream news. In addition, many our striving or promoting the fact that people need to be educated, the masses, all of us, need to know what is going on not only in society, but in the world, with the governments, with news media, with corporations, with the way the world operates today. Educating people around the issues and allowing them to be informed is one of the first steps, so people say, to starting a global movement for positive change and action.

Shortly after Trigardon posted this topic/video, I glanced in on a conversation between Morgoth of Udun (TeaMan) and DieOrFail on an IRC channel. The topic of THINKING and education was brought up in relation to this video -- because even if things are crappy in this world -- mindless violence isn't the long-term solution. Violence can sure make a strong point, and as one of the fellows mentioned in the video; most 'heroes' like Martin Luther King were on the opposite side of the law, going against what was considered 'normal'. He was, in a sense, radical -- an extremist. Ghandi is a similar story, and you'll find parallels with many other people in history who ended up making positive change. What needs to be considered though, is "Will violent protest get the point across? Will it bring people to your side or turn them away?". Personally, I don't think violence in any sort will get you a long-term solution -- you'll quickly be arrested in today's world or people will shrug you off as one of those "radical extremists", or so the mainstream media/news would tell you.

After reading the conversation between Morgoth of Udun (TeaMan) and DieOrFail, I remembered another video that spoke about how the education system in a majority of the world is flawed and doesn't work for the time and age we live in now.

It might be hard to make the connection between this video and the one Trigardon posted, but if you happen to have enough awareness and informed background around many of the inter-connected, global issues we face in the world today, you might feel a few sparks of light here and there. Banks/Corporations perhaps indeed, are insanely negative and controlling in today's world -- and where does the change start? When, and where do people begin taking action against this? In my humble view, perhaps soon, because people are starting to become aware and informed about the real issues, and they are ready for real action.

I've been told that education, is going to be a key to positive change, and I think it might be true. Currently, the education systems across the world aren't exposing younger people to the real issues and problems. As you'll see in the below video, the gist of this man's opinion, by the name of Sir Ken Robinson, is that we need to change how the education system operates -- and I'm inclined to agree with him a fair bit. Everything is inter-connected; from climate change to local poverty and world-wide poverty, to education and schools, to human rights and to the military industrial complex (See here if curious about what it is), to homelessness and social media, from banks and corporations to videogames and world-peace... each of these topics are huge -- and each one will need people advocating, fighting, demanding, and educating for each section if we ever hope to have a better world. And perhaps, that first key lies in getting people to think, understand, and become educated on the real issues we face in society today. From there we can start seeing more real solutions and positive change/action take root.

Here is the video I have been referring to throughout the post:

The animated video is actually a shorter version of the full talk given by Sir Ken Robinson, which you can find (here), for those wanting to listen to the entire thing. If you really end up wanting to learn more about this fellow, you can see one of his other popular videos (here), where he talks about how "Do schools kill creativity?"

Never give up, eh.

Note: Probably won't post here again, I've already heard many times how bad things are in the world (as well as how positive and inspiring some things are too, just to be fair), and I don't have the energy nor educated background to really go into long discussions, debates, or explanations around this stuff. Thought I'd chip in though this one time.

Important Note for TH' Community Members: While heavy and serious discussions like this one can possibly bring lots of conflicting opinions, views together, I would offer a gentle and friendly reminder to please keep your posts (if on these TH' forums) as respectful, considerate, and friendly-mannered as possible. It is okay to disagree, but you don't have to make an enemy of the other person. It is possible to agree to disagree, and sometimes that is the best way to end a conversation.

Also, if you do decide to post on the Newerth forums in relation to this topic/subject, please remember you are representing the TH' Community as well as our values, conduct, and community. Please remain cordial, respectful, and considerate of others when, and if you post outside of the TH' site. Thank you.

Last edited by TNaismith on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

Darn, DorFi, he WASN'T afk :p

Very good WoT, TN! Will watch the video later.
I can't stress enough how important I think it is that people will learn to have an open mind and be released from any narrow-mindedness (THINK).
If you don't totally understand (not you, TN, but anyone who is reading this (which could be TN as well Wink )), I recommend reading 'On Liberty' by John Stuart Mill, which he wrote in the mid-19th century. But it's still an amazing piece of truth and probably will always be. He perfectly argues (among other things) how THINKing can change the world.
Morgoth of Udun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top