Computer buying, help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Computer buying, help!

Post by Raiden on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 3:04 am

Alright hers the deal, ive saved up a bit of money and i want to buy myself a new computer as a bit of a treat to myself but more so because my current laptop is over 10 years old and keeps freezing Razz So i would love some help on opinions for good gaming laptops around around 1-2 grand! all opinions welcome, and im not 100% set on a laptop but i would prefer it... ive looked at alienware mostly so far but i dont know if id be willing to spend so much just for the brand!

Life's not fair, get used to it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer buying, help!

Post by Aneurysm on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 1:18 pm

The word "Gaming" and "Laptop" unfortunately do not go hand in hand. You have to make a decision, is it more important to have a computer with mobility OR have a computer that handles higher graphical demands like running games, streaming videos, running other 2 and 3d applications ?

It's not to say that no laptop can handle any game, it's just that desk top computers do the job a lot better, and usually for a lot cheaper. Finally with a desktop pc you also have more screen space which is once again greater for gaming.

So in summary

Laptops -

- Portable
- Less gaming capable
- More expensive

Desktop PC -
- Not Portable
- More gaming capable
- Cheaper

I see from your profile that you are from Ireland, I can't say I am an expert on where to buy over in your part of the world. However I did live in London for a while a few years back, and at that time I found overclockers to be very helpful and competitive with pricing, so perhaps that would be a good place to start in terms of looking at pricing. I would also recommend building it yourself if you end up going for a desktop. These days, building a PC is remarkably easy, can be learnt with very little assistance, and you once again save a lot of money because you are not paying for a bundled package. If you are unsure on how to build one, there is loads and loads of tutorials and information on the net on how to build a PC. Alternatively, if you have a friend who knows how, ask them to show you. That is how I learnt, I had a friend show me once many years ago and I have been building them ever since.

Goodluck
Aneurysm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiden on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 8:06 pm

Cheers for the help man and ye i know laptops arent the best for gaming but the problem is that i have the WORST internet connection ever and would like the option to go else where to use it! Razz As for building my own i was very tempted to do so and i had 2 friends who have built there own and who would help me, saying its easy, that its just like a jigsaw puzzle and anyone can do it! But the problem is that living in Ireland im very limited by places to buy parts, especially any decent parts.... i guess ill keep looking around for somewhere better to buy parts in ireland or a good deal on a laptop! thanks again Smile

Life's not fair, get used to it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tushaar on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 3:43 am

I recommend a laptop, my laptop didn't cost much, only 1000$ but it plays games really good, Crysis on medium if i remember correctly. Buying a desktop just to play games on top graphics is useless, in the end the mobility of laptop is more important.
Just take a laptop which has:

-4 G of ram
- dual core ofcourse for 64 bit windows (will test it out in near days, had to be twice the performance of 32 bit)
- about 250 - 320 gigs - more is pointless it will become too slow and less is well... unless you have a portable HDD Razz
- Graphics card, i have a Nvidia 8600M GT, and i bought the laptop 2 years ago, so there should be more powerful ones in the laptop by now =) And the drivers aren't a problem, there is a new one almost every week on laptopvideo2go.com

I have played em all, AC 2, Bioshock 2, Crysis, Oblivion without problems

Thought now i have a faulty HDD, i managed to save 27 gb out of 320 Razz Will have to buy a new harddrive soon ))
Tushaar
Clan Scouting Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top